Other Redress Processes

Here are examples of some of the many kinds of dispute resolution processes available:

  • A grievance under your collective agreement, if you are a member of a union;
  • For federal public servants, grievances under the Public Service Labour Relations Act and the Public Service Employment Act, which can lead to adjudication with the Public Service Labour Relations Board and the Public Service Staffing Tribunal, respectively;
  • The inmate grievance procedure available under the Corrections and Conditional Release Act;
  • The Canadian Forces grievance procedure;
  • The grievance procedure available to RCMP members under the RCMP Act;
  • Service complaints against members of the RCMP can be made to the Commission for Public Complaints against the RCMP;
  • Employment Insurance appeals: the first level is the Board of Referees; the second level is the Umpire;
  • Canada Pension Plan and Old Age Security appeals can be made to the Office of the Commissioner of Review Tribunals (OCRT);
  • Appeals from assessments under the Income Tax Act, the Excise Tax Act (Goods and Services Tax "GST"), the Employment Insurance Act and the Canada Pension Plan can be made to the Tax Court of Canada;
  • Immigration appeals regarding sponsorship and removal orders can be made to the Immigration and Refugee Board;
  • Complaints regarding modes of transportation under federal jurisdiction involving rates, accessibility & service can be made to the Canadian Transportation Agency;
  • Accessibility issues regarding intercity bus operators can be made to Transport Canada (Intercity Bus Code of Practice);
  • Transportation license appeals (aviation, marine & rail) can be made to the Transportation Appeal Tribunal of Canada;
  • Appeals regarding Veterans’ benefits can be made to the Veterans Review and Appeal Board of Canada;
  • Complaints against unions regarding the duty of fair representation can be made to the Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB);
  • Complaints regarding the content of radio or television broadcasts should be made to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC).