Complaint FAQs

Uncertain about the Canadian Human Rights complaint process? Search through our FAQs for more information. 

For a more detailed set of FAQs, please visit the section of our website that talks about Complaint Rules.

Who can file a complaint
Can I still file a complaint if I am outside the country?
Can I file a complaint for another person?
Can I file a complaint for my child who is under 18?
Can a person under 18 file a complaint without their parent’s consent?
Can I file a complaint for someone who has died?
Can I file a complaint for someone who is in prison?
Can I file a complaint for a group?
Whom can I file a complaint against?
In what kinds of situations can I file a complaint?
What should I do if I do not see what I am looking for in the examples of discriminatory acts?
What do you mean by ground of discrimination?
What do you mean when you ask if I have any special needs or accommodation requests?
How do I file a complaint?
What happens if the incident occurred in many places? Which location should I indicate on the complaint form?
What should I do if I don’t remember the exact date of the incident?
What date should I use if the incident(s) are ongoing?
How long do I have to submit a complaint?
I have moved recently. Do I use the address of when it happened or my new address?
Can I attach documents to prove my story?
What is an alternate contact?
What is a representative?
Will you contact my lawyer?
Will you contact my Union?
I have a union, but they aren’t aware of the complaint. Do you still need my union information?
If my complaint is against my union, does that impact the information I give you?
The Commission says it wants to use my information for research. What kind of research do you do?
What if I don’t agree for you to use my information in research? Can I still file a complaint?
Once I have sent my complaint in, can I make changes to it?
When will someone call me?
How long will the entire process take?
When will you contact the person or company I am complaining about?
Will I know ahead of time when you are contacting the respondent?
How will any follow-up on my complaint be handled?
Are you keeping my information in a database?
Will I have to travel to Ottawa at any point during my complaint process?
Will I have to face the person I am complaining about? I don’t want to be in the same room as them.
Are complaints confidential?
The person I am complaining about can afford a lawyer, but I cannot. Will this affect how my complaint is handled?
Why can’t I save my complaint and complete it another time?
What is the difference between the Wizard and the online complaint form?
Why should I use the online form?
How do I get to the online form?
What happens once I have filed my complaint using the online form?
Date modified:

Quick Links Navigation

How to File